THOMAS SAMSON / AFP / Getty Images
The City of Los Angeles announced this week the limited availability of tests to detect the presence of COVID-19, for the most vulnerable residents who meet a series of specific requirements.
What are the City of Los Angeles requirements to qualify for a COVID-19 screening test?
According to the LA City site, they can get proof:
- People over 65 years of age who have symptoms.
- People with chronic and pre-existing symptoms and health conditions. Pre-existing conditions are considered diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, asthma – moderate to severe -, and chronic lung diseases. Also considered are people whose immune system is compromised, such as those under treatment to fight cancer.
- Those under mandatory 14-day quarantine for having been exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19, and having more than 7 days of isolation left.
What are the main symptoms of COVID-19?
If you or a family member experiences severe symptoms including fever, cough, and shortness of breath you should call your doctor immediately. If you think the emergency may threaten your life or that of a family member, call 911.
Can I make an appointment if I am not a resident of the city of Los Angeles?
Do not. The tests are available only to residents of the city of Los Angeles, that meet the eligibility criteria.
What to expect
- Those who manage to get an appointment to take the test will receive a confirmation with the details that include place, date and other details.
- The test itself lasts about five minutes, but it is possible that you have to wait until you are attended.
- All tests are "Drive-thru", this is from your car. Those people who do not have a car cannot be tested. Angelenos must remain in their vehicle.
- The tests are free and the results are ready 24 to 36 hours after the test.
- When you visit the City of Los Angeles page, you may be told that appointments are no longer available. Angelenos are encouraged to keep trying again and again until they can get a date.
- The quotes are available only for the day after registration.
To see if you are eligible for a City test or for more information visit http://Coronavirus.LACity.org/Testing
Can I obtain a proof through my medical insurance?
Insurance companies are asking their clients to please call ahead before coming in person to prevent transmission to other patients, doctors, nurses, and staff.